The City is currently looking to fill a vacant Senior Accountant opening. This position is located in different units within the Finance Department and is responsible for assisting in planning, organizing, and supervising the accounting activities of the City; Incumbents in this position performs advanced level accounting duties and other technical accounting and financial analysis; and writes technical and informational reports for the City's executives and policy makers. Typical duties include:
- Assists in the development and implementation of Accounting Division goals, objectives, and priorities, that are consistent with those of the department;
- Plans, assigns, and reviews the work of subordinates;
- Directly oversees part or all of several of the Accounting Division activities
- Review and authorize all accounting batches for updating in the accounting system in the absence of the Accounting Manager
- Performs the duties of a financial management system module leader
- Monitors, and evaluates the progress of the work of subordinates, in relation to the tasks reflected in the annual work plan, and makes periodic adjustments to the work plan in order to ensure the achievement of division objectives
- Reviews, recommends and implements improvements to existing procedures
- Supervises, evaluates, trains and develops professional and support staff
- Provides advice and counsel to management and other employees in accounting matters and assists in developing standards for cash handling and fraud prevention procedures
- Assists in the research, evaluation and implementation of new Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) Statements
- Participates in establishing uniform accounting policies and procedures. Prepares financial statements, financial reports, and financial analyses
- Maintains the general ledger, subsidiary ledgers and necessary supporting schedules
- Reviews accounting documents to ensure accuracy of information and calculations, and makes, or ensures that correcting entries are made, when necessary
- Examines supporting documentation to determine proper authorization and conformance with agreements, contracts, and state and federal regulations
- Prepares and maintains control and subsidiary accounting records for a variety of accounts
- Prepares or reviews journal entries; performs periodic reviews of bank reconciliations and reconciliations of general ledger control accounts with subsidiary accounts
- Prepares or reviews the City's annual indirect cost allocation plans in compliance with federal regulations, and for internal costing/charging purposes
- Prepares or approves budgeted cash transfers and loans between funds; and maintains the accounting records for the City's investments
- Coordinates the accounting for grant activities throughout the City
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of annual financial reports for State Controller's Office
- 24. Prepares or reviews the monthly billings to Berkeley Housing Authority and the Redevelopment Agency and other funds for reimbursement to the General Fund or Capital Improvement Fund
- Assists in the installation of new accounting systems and procedures, and provides instructions to others in their use
- Performs cost and rate studies and other financial analyses as requested
- Prepares written reports for use by the Director, other City executives, and the City's policy-making body
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, or a closely related field, which included substantial accounting coursework (including successful completion of intermediate accounting, advanced accounting, governmental accounting, managerial accounting and cost accounting).
Three (3) years of increasingly responsible professional accounting experience, preferably in a governmental or public agency setting. This experience should include a minimum of one-year supervising accountants. A Certified Public Accountant license is desirable.
Applicants passing all examination phases will have their names placed on an employment eligible list that hiring department(s) will use to conduct final selection interviews. Hiring Department(s) will contact applicants directly if selected to participate in their hiring/selection process.
To apply and for more information about this opening, please visit our website at http://www.cityofberkeley.info/hr/, no later than Monday, May 8, 2017 at 5:00 PM (PST).