Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
We serve Equal Opportunity Employers and are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providing this information is strictly voluntary - you will not be penalized or subjected to adverse treatment. If you choose not to provide this information, simply select "Choose not to identify".
Senior User Experience Researcher
As User Experience Researcher, you will be part of a highly collaborative group of creative problem solvers with a passion for innovation\. You will gather information to help us revolutionize the way enterprise users experience VMware’s vRealize Product Suite for the Software\-Defined Datacenter\. In our dynamic Management Suite Business Unit, you have the opportunity to influence cultural change to promote a design\-driven culture at VMware\.
Using a variety of quantitative and qualitative research methods, you will gather and present evidence that drives the improvement of VMware enterprise datacenter and cloud management products\. Our goal is to ensure that VMware products deliver our users a meaningful and delightful experience\. As a UX researcher, your responsibility will be to ensure that our software lives up to that promise\.
As a user researcher you will conduct research and provide credible and defendable data to a cross\-functional team that must understand the users’ needs and the reasons for their behavior\. Reporting to the Sr\. Manager, R&D User Experience, you will work closely with other members of the User Experience team\. You will also collaborate closely with both front\- and back\-end developers, architects and product managers\. The user research candidate will be expected to adapt methodologies and frequency of project iterations according to both agile product development environments as well as geographically distributed development team structures\.
• In collaboration with interaction designers, developers and user researchers, coordinate and execute all phases of user research, including authoring research documents, developing screeners, recruiting potential participants, developing consent forms, surveys, test plans and interview discussion guides and moderating usability lab sessions, lab setup and consolidation of usability findings database and reports
• Plan, schedule and facilitate smooth\-running user studies, interviews, and other related interactions with customers and users in support of user experience team projects
• Creating and maintain project schedules, and advise project teams in planning user research activities
• Act as an excellent liaison between customers, user research participants and our cross\-functional product team members at VMware
• Help teams determine best user research methodology to use to meet business objectives
• Create, present and maintain project documentation including research plan, schedule, status and meeting reports, usability findings database and debrief reports
• Partner closely with interaction designers and visual designers in the user experience team to jointly propose and present design improvement recommendations to both development and product management teams
• Prepare research findings deliverables such as reports, presentations, video highlights, storyboards, use cases, personas, etc\. as appropriate for each project
• 4\+ years experience
• Bachelors or Masters degree in Human\-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, Anthropology, or other comparable social science degree
• Strong verbal and written communications skills coupled with a high attention to detail\.
• Excellent observational skills and a great analytical ability\.
• Demonstrated experience developing and conducting user research, including lab and field\-based user studies, heuristic evaluations, cognitive walkthroughs and contextual inquiries\.
• Demonstrated experience developing personas, scenarios and work flows based on user research\.
• Examples from past user research work available for viewing and prepared to present it to our team
• Ability to travel as necessary\.
• Technical background or ability to understand complex technical concepts related especially related to Datacenter/Cloud IT
• Expert user of Excel, and usability testing tools such as Morae, UserVue, or other comparable tools\.
• Familiarity with OmniGraffle, Adobe Creative Suite applications or other interaction design tools\.
**Why work for our Division**
The Software Defined Data Center \(SDDC\) Suite Business Unit’s goal is to develop engineered suites that are simple for customers to purchase, deploy and operate, and each person in the group is instrumental in accomplishing this mission\. Pioneered by VMware and recognized by the industry and analysts alike, SDDC extends the virtualization concepts you know— abstraction, pooling and automation — to all data center resources and services\. The teams in the SDDC Suite Business Unit have the unique opportunity to impact each component of SDDC through VMware’s bundle offerings vCloud Suite and vSOM, including compute, storage and availability, network and security, management and hybrid cloud\. As a result, the teams have a holistic view of the customers’ complete IT needs and VMware’s overall business strategy\.
**Why work with our Group**
The Software Defined Data Center \(SDDC\) Suite Business Unit’s goal is to develop engineered suites that are simple for customers to purchase, deploy and operate, and each person in the group is instrumental in accomplishing this mission\. Pioneered by VMware and recognized by the industry and analysts alike, SDDC extends the virtualization concepts you know— abstraction, pooling and automation — to all data center resources and services\. Product Managers, Product Marketing Managers and Product Development Engineers in the SDDC Suite Business Unit have the unique opportunity to impact each component of SDDC through VMware’s bundle offerings vCloud Suite and vSOM, including compute, storage and availability, network and security, management and hybrid cloud\. As a result, SDDC PM’s PMM’s and Engineers have a holistic view of the customers’ complete IT needs and VMware’s overall business strategy\.
**Advertised Location \(Select only ONE location\)**
Palo Alto, CA, US
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software\. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and policy\-driven automation technologies, VMware simplifies IT complexity across the entire data center to the virtual workplace, empowering customers with solutions in the software\-defined data center to hybrid cloud computing and the mobile workspace\.
With 2014 revenues of $6\.04 billion, VMware has more than 500,000 customers, 75,000 partners, and 18,000\+ employees in 120\+ locations around the world\. At the core of what we do are our employees who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community\. Want to be part of a compassionate community that thrives on architecting what's next in IT? Learn more at vmware\.com/careers\.
VMware is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees\. Equal opportunity and consideration are afforded to all qualified applicants and employees in personnel actions, which include: recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, rates of pay or other compensation, transfer, discipline, demotion, layoff or termination\. VMware does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, family medical history or genetic information, citizenship, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, military status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation\. VMware also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law\. Further, it is the policy of VMware to maintain a working environment free of all forms of harassment\.
**Advertised Group \(Place a checkmark to select multiple groups\)**